Freezing a document lets you prevent changes to a document and any linked items. For example, if you freeze a document that has links to a workbook, the cells linked to the frozen document are frozen as well.
NOTE: Only content admins and document owners can freeze or thaw documents.
Basics of Freezing and Thawing
You can freeze a document at any time, though it’s most common to freeze a document after filing. Also, please note that documents cannot be frozen while they are in draft. Only documents and workbooks can be frozen and thawed.
When you open a frozen document, you'll see that the document is frozen by the gray background. Also, for frozen documents, you’ll see a frozen icon next to document.
Frozen items in linked files have a shaded indicator in the corner. For a document that contains links from a frozen document, the linked cells display a gray indicator below the link.
To make changes to a frozen document, you need to thaw the document first.
Freezing and Thawing in Home
To freeze or thaw a document from home:
- In My Recent or Files, find the file you’d like to freeze.
- Select the file you’d like to freeze.
Right-click the file or use the down arrow, and then select Freeze or Thaw.
Freezing and Thawing in Admin
To freeze or thaw a document from Admin:
- Go to Account Admin and then select the Content tab.
- From the content tab, find the document or documents you’d like to freeze.
- Check the box next to to the filename.
- Click the More button, then select Freeze or Thaw.
- Select Yes to confirm you’d like to freeze or thaw your document.
You can also click the document name and choose Freeze Document from the details page.
Freezing and Thawing from the Project Panel
To freeze or thaw documents from the projects panel for filing projects:
- Go to the Projects panel.
- In the Projects panel, select the Filing tab and expand Optional Items.
- Next to Freeze Filing Documents, click the Optional button to select documents.
- You’ll see the the Freeze Filing Documents window appears with a list of documents in the project that you can freeze.
- Use the check marks to select the documents you'd like to freeze or use Check All then click Freeze Selected Documents.
The document freeze status displays in the section below. When a document is frozen, you’ll see a locked padlock icon. When the document isn’t frozen, the padlock will be unlocked.